Wednesday, October 3, 2012

dresser makeover

I painted an old wooden dresser turquoise when Cohen was born. I decided to give it another facelift for the new baby. It will be half boy clothes and half girl clothes, so I went with a neutral silver! Don't you love silver? I originally intended just a simple gray but then I went down the Martha Stewart paint aisle and saw metallics. I couldn't go back after that.

I love how girly metallic silver can be but also how industrialized and manly it can look. So, it's perfect for a shared nursery! 

I partnered with 3M for this project and used a few of their products to make the preparation and process easier. 

Materials used:
-Glidden Paint in Pebble Gray 
-Martha Stewart Metallic Paint in Polished Silver 
-3M TEKK Protection refinishing gloves


Sanding the paint between coats was really smart! I used two coats of basic gray and then brushed the metallic on top. In between I sanded scuffs and drips, which left me with a really smooth surface. When I added the brushed texture on top, it looked great because I had prepared the base coats well! I love the 3M Sandpaper because it is really fine and perfect for this task.

Before I started painting, I made sure to prepare with a face mask for safety. I also wore protective gloves to keep my hands and nails nice. I usually get paint all over my hands when I paint, but this time I didn't! It was much nicer to just peel off the gloves than to have to soak in the tub for a while. Safety first!


 In process
 I used a paint roller for the two base coats but a brush for the metallic. I wanted it to have that brushed look, it gave it some texture.

The insides are still blue with my fabric liners! The fabric is from Heather Bailey's Pop Garden line. 



This post is a collaboration with 3M DIY. To learn more about safety and preparation, visit 3MDIY.com

Content and/or other value provided by our partner, 3M DIY.

6 comments:

  1. cool i have a shelf I was thinking about painting maybe this is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. whatm a wonderful transformation you made with that dresser. It looks so much better with the silver. The prep is so important to what kind of final results you want. Glad you got it done and it's what you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! I just received a dresser/changing table combo from someone, and I think I'm inspired to give it a makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate didn't u do a time lapse video when you painted a wall... Or was that not you haha? How did u edit that to speed up? I have tried everything tonight... Boo!

    ReplyDelete